Baby Boy Nursery #2

We are so happy to welcome baby boy #2 to our family.  Charlie joined us exactly 3 weeks early and we have been loving every minute with him. And, Henry is doing a great job being a big brother.

When we found out we were expecting baby boy #2, we decided to use everything from Henry’s nursery and work on giving Henry a big boy room.  The old guest room got transformed into Charlie’s nursery.  The room was already painted yellow and although I don’t love yellow for a baby boy’s room, we left it and I’m glad we did because it turned out perfect.  We stuck with a gray and white safari animal theme and added some navy accents.

Here is a reminder of what the room looked like before as the guest bedroom…

IMG_0934

And here is Charlie’s nursery…

DSC_2023DSC_2016DSC_2020

Most things were donated from Henry, but here is a list of everything we used in the room.

Wall Color – Benjamin Moore Weston Flax

Crib – Pottery Barn Emerson Crib

Dresser – Restoration Hardware St. James 3 Drawer Dresser in the antiqued natural finish

Rocker – Baby Relax Brielle Rocker in gray

Bedding – Pottery Barn Reese Organic Nursery Bedding

Rug:  Safavieh from Home Goods

Animal Prints – Etsy

Curtains – Home Goods

Hamper – Home Goods

Lamp – Threshold Shiloh Floor Lamp from Target

Mobile – Just Born Animal Kingdom Mobile

Changing Pad Cover – Burt’s Bees Blueberry

 Now we just have to move Charlie out of our room and into his room so he can enjoy it!

Playroom Alphabet Wall

dsc_0470When I set out to create a playroom fit for a king, I knew I wanted to create a colorful alphabet wall after seeing some ideas of it being used in nurseries on Pinterest.  And, I absolutely love how it turned out!

It is hard to shop around for all different style and sized letters so I bought the unfinished letters on Etsy.  Before painting them, I laid out the letters how I wanted them mounted on the wall.  This helped plan which color to paint which letters so that I wouldn’t end up with the same color too close to each other. This step actually sounds a lot easier than it was.  I painted them with acrylic paint that you can get from any craft store.  I also stained a couple of letters.  The painting/staining did take some time as you have to do multiple coats and get all of the edges covered.

To mount the letters, I didn’t want to mount them directly to the wall because I didn’t want a million little nail holes in our newly finished basement walls, so we decided to mount the letters to plywood and then mount the plywood to the wall.  I used 1/4 plywood and added moulding around the edge to create a framed look.  I painted the plywood and the moulding the same color as the wall, Benjamin Moore White Dove.  I then used liquid nails to attach the letters to the plywood.  Once that was dry, my husband mounted the entire board to the wall.

A Playroom Fit for a King

I recently shared my finished basement dreams and, as promised, here are the details on Part 1 of the project. We wanted Henry to have a playroom that he will love and where he will be free to do whatever he wants.  And, let’s be honest, the OCD in me wanted a room to contain all of his toys so that they don’t take over my family room.

As a reminder, here is what the finished area of our basement looked like before…

DSC_0186

Playroom (from listing photo)

I absolutely love how it turned out and I hope Henry will love it too as he gets older and plays down there every day.  Here is a list of the updates we made:

  • Expanded the room about 5 ft in length, adding about 65 sq. ft. We also added another entry that will lead to the laundry/mud room.  There will be a sliding barn door between the two rooms once Part 2 of the project is completed…can’t wait!

    IMG_1185

    New Playroom Wall

  • Added a storage closet.  We still need to add some shelving in there, but we are waiting on a good sale because I didn’t realize how expensive it can get.
  • Replaced the windows.  The old ones were painted shut so they weren’t very useful.
  • Replaced the carpet.  We went with this Stainmaster carpet from Lowes.  We also went with the upgraded pad and I’m glad we did because you spend a lot of time on the floor with a baby.
  • Boxed in the support post with cedar wood planks.  These are stained with Miniwax walnut stain.
  • Painted.  The walls are painted Benjamin Moore White Dove.  I wanted to keep it light since it is a basement and it doesn’t get too much natural light despite having windows.  We also painted a chalkboard wall.  It has been a big hit with other kids that have visited so far, but Henry is still too little to enjoy it. Hopefully he remembers he can only write on one wall!
  • Created a craft nook.  I still want to add some wall storage to hold crayons, markers, pencils, etc and a way to display art.  I like these FINTORP containers from IKEA and these magnetic containers from the Container Store.  Since Henry isn’t quite doing crafts yet, I have a little time to finish up this area.

Although there are still some finishing touches that need to be done, I’m going to call Part 1 finished!  Here are some pictures during the project.

…and the finished product!

DSC_0481