Having a BBQ this summer and need a dessert? These hamburger cupcakes are super cute and easy to make. And, they were a hit at our summer BBQ this year. I used boxed yellow cake mix as a time saver (I know I’m disappointed in myself too), but made my favorite homemade chocolate buttercream frosting.
- First make the cupcakes according to directions and let them cool completely.
- Make the chocolate buttercream frosting and chill for twenty minutes so that is easier to work with.
- Slice the cupcakes in half using a serrated knife to create the hamburger bun.
- Pipe on the chocolate frosting on the bottom half of the cupcake. I used a star tip for this.
- Layer on green, yellow and red icing for the lettuce, mustard and ketchup. I used a basket-weave tip for the lettuce and two different sized round tips for the mustard and ketchup.
- Cool in the fridge so that the frosting can set prior to putting the top of the bun on.
As I continue to post on my blog, you will start to notice a trend…I absolutely adore cupcakes! The perfect size treat with so many different flavor combinations…what’s not to love? A great cupcake display can be the perfect addition to any party. Whether it is a bridal shower, baby shower, birthday party, holiday party or any party it can add to the decor and serve as cute favors for guests to take with them 🙂
My mom and bridesmaids surprised me at my bridal shower with this display and, no surprise here, I loved it. They obviously know I’m obsessed with cupcakes! And I plan on using this idea at as many parties as possible.
Having a variety of flavors with different decorations makes it even more fun . All of these cupcakes are homemade by my Mom, which is much cheaper than paying $3-4 per cupcake from a bakery. If baking from scratch is not for you, using box cupcake mix is always an option. By adding homemade frosting and fancy decorating it will still have the same look. And, individually packaging them makes it easy for guests to take it home with them. The cupcake stands were purchased at Home Goods and the plastic containers are from Michaels.
And, I have to give credit to my sister for the decorations on each box.
Happy cupcake decorating!