Baby Boy Nursery #2

We are so happy to welcome baby boy #2 to our family.  Charlie joined us exactly 3 weeks early and we have been loving every minute with him. And, Henry is doing a great job being a big brother.

When we found out we were expecting baby boy #2, we decided to use everything from Henry’s nursery and work on giving Henry a big boy room.  The old guest room got transformed into Charlie’s nursery.  The room was already painted yellow and although I don’t love yellow for a baby boy’s room, we left it and I’m glad we did because it turned out perfect.  We stuck with a gray and white safari animal theme and added some navy accents.

Here is a reminder of what the room looked like before as the guest bedroom…

IMG_0934

And here is Charlie’s nursery…

DSC_2023DSC_2016DSC_2020

Most things were donated from Henry, but here is a list of everything we used in the room.

Wall Color – Benjamin Moore Weston Flax

Crib – Pottery Barn Emerson Crib

Dresser – Restoration Hardware St. James 3 Drawer Dresser in the antiqued natural finish

Rocker – Baby Relax Brielle Rocker in gray

Bedding – Pottery Barn Reese Organic Nursery Bedding

Rug:  Safavieh from Home Goods

Animal Prints – Etsy

Curtains – Home Goods

Hamper – Home Goods

Lamp – Threshold Shiloh Floor Lamp from Target

Mobile – Just Born Animal Kingdom Mobile

Changing Pad Cover – Burt’s Bees Blueberry

 Now we just have to move Charlie out of our room and into his room so he can enjoy it!

Our Little Monster’s 1st Birthday

I can’t believe our baby Henry is already a year old plus a couple of months because this post is very delayed (more on that later).  Since day one we called him our little monster so what better theme for a 1st birthday than monsters!

I made him a homemade vanilla cake with buttercream frosting for his smash cake.  It didn’t quite come out the way I was expecting (Pinterest fail!), but he didn’t seem to mind.  Note to first time parents, don’t worry so much about that smash cake, it means more to you than them.  If only I had known this before my meltdown when it didn’t turn out right.  Of course, I was more excited about it than he was but he did enjoy for a few minutes :).

For food, I kept it simple for a 1 year old’s party…pizza (his favorite food), calzones and salad.  This also meant that I didn’t have to cook!  But the dessert table is where I spent most of my efforts with the monster theme.

DSC_1536

The cake was ordered from a local bakery and we used the image from the invitation.  I had so many ideas for a cake, but really didn’t want to spend $100 for 1st birthday cake.  It ended up coming out great and we only spent about $30.  We also had “1” cookies, chocolate covered Oreos and chocolate dipped Rice Krispie treats.  Of course everything had the candy eyes, which I bought at Michael’s, to make them look like monsters.

Henry loved his party and it was his last hurrah before his baby brother arrived!  And that is why this post is soooo delayed.

Playroom Alphabet Wall

dsc_0470When I set out to create a playroom fit for a king, I knew I wanted to create a colorful alphabet wall after seeing some ideas of it being used in nurseries on Pinterest.  And, I absolutely love how it turned out!

It is hard to shop around for all different style and sized letters so I bought the unfinished letters on Etsy.  Before painting them, I laid out the letters how I wanted them mounted on the wall.  This helped plan which color to paint which letters so that I wouldn’t end up with the same color too close to each other. This step actually sounds a lot easier than it was.  I painted them with acrylic paint that you can get from any craft store.  I also stained a couple of letters.  The painting/staining did take some time as you have to do multiple coats and get all of the edges covered.

To mount the letters, I didn’t want to mount them directly to the wall because I didn’t want a million little nail holes in our newly finished basement walls, so we decided to mount the letters to plywood and then mount the plywood to the wall.  I used 1/4 plywood and added moulding around the edge to create a framed look.  I painted the plywood and the moulding the same color as the wall, Benjamin Moore White Dove.  I then used liquid nails to attach the letters to the plywood.  Once that was dry, my husband mounted the entire board to the wall.