A Playroom Fit for a King

I recently shared my finished basement dreams and, as promised, here are the details on Part 1 of the project. We wanted Henry to have a playroom that he will love and where he will be free to do whatever he wants.  And, let’s be honest, the OCD in me wanted a room to contain all of his toys so that they don’t take over my family room.

As a reminder, here is what the finished area of our basement looked like before…

DSC_0186

Playroom (from listing photo)

I absolutely love how it turned out and I hope Henry will love it too as he gets older and plays down there every day.  Here is a list of the updates we made:

  • Expanded the room about 5 ft in length, adding about 65 sq. ft. We also added another entry that will lead to the laundry/mud room.  There will be a sliding barn door between the two rooms once Part 2 of the project is completed…can’t wait!

    IMG_1185

    New Playroom Wall

  • Added a storage closet.  We still need to add some shelving in there, but we are waiting on a good sale because I didn’t realize how expensive it can get.
  • Replaced the windows.  The old ones were painted shut so they weren’t very useful.
  • Replaced the carpet.  We went with this Stainmaster carpet from Lowes.  We also went with the upgraded pad and I’m glad we did because you spend a lot of time on the floor with a baby.
  • Boxed in the support post with cedar wood planks.  These are stained with Miniwax walnut stain.
  • Painted.  The walls are painted Benjamin Moore White Dove.  I wanted to keep it light since it is a basement and it doesn’t get too much natural light despite having windows.  We also painted a chalkboard wall.  It has been a big hit with other kids that have visited so far, but Henry is still too little to enjoy it. Hopefully he remembers he can only write on one wall!
  • Created a craft nook.  I still want to add some wall storage to hold crayons, markers, pencils, etc and a way to display art.  I like these FINTORP containers from IKEA and these magnetic containers from the Container Store.  Since Henry isn’t quite doing crafts yet, I have a little time to finish up this area.

Although there are still some finishing touches that need to be done, I’m going to call Part 1 finished!  Here are some pictures during the project.

…and the finished product!

DSC_0481

Advertisements

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s