I recently shared my finished basement dreams and, as promised, here are the details on Part 1 of the project. We wanted Henry to have a playroom that he will love and where he will be free to do whatever he wants. And, let’s be honest, the OCD in me wanted a room to contain all of his toys so that they don’t take over my family room.
As a reminder, here is what the finished area of our basement looked like before…
I absolutely love how it turned out and I hope Henry will love it too as he gets older and plays down there every day. Here is a list of the updates we made:
- Expanded the room about 5 ft in length, adding about 65 sq. ft. We also added another entry that will lead to the laundry/mud room. There will be a sliding barn door between the two rooms once Part 2 of the project is completed…can’t wait!
- Added a storage closet. We still need to add some shelving in there, but we are waiting on a good sale because I didn’t realize how expensive it can get.
- Replaced the windows. The old ones were painted shut so they weren’t very useful.
- Replaced the carpet. We went with this Stainmaster carpet from Lowes. We also went with the upgraded pad and I’m glad we did because you spend a lot of time on the floor with a baby.
- Boxed in the support post with cedar wood planks. These are stained with Miniwax walnut stain.
- Painted. The walls are painted Benjamin Moore White Dove. I wanted to keep it light since it is a basement and it doesn’t get too much natural light despite having windows. We also painted a chalkboard wall. It has been a big hit with other kids that have visited so far, but Henry is still too little to enjoy it. Hopefully he remembers he can only write on one wall!
- Created a craft nook. I still want to add some wall storage to hold crayons, markers, pencils, etc and a way to display art. I like these FINTORP containers from IKEA and these magnetic containers from the Container Store. Since Henry isn’t quite doing crafts yet, I have a little time to finish up this area.
Although there are still some finishing touches that need to be done, I’m going to call Part 1 finished! Here are some pictures during the project.
…and the finished product!