Having a BBQ this summer and need a dessert? These hamburger cupcakes are super cute and easy to make. And, they were a hit at our summer BBQ this year. I used boxed yellow cake mix as a time saver (I know I’m disappointed in myself too), but made my favorite homemade chocolate buttercream frosting.
- First make the cupcakes according to directions and let them cool completely.
- Make the chocolate buttercream frosting and chill for twenty minutes so that is easier to work with.
- Slice the cupcakes in half using a serrated knife to create the hamburger bun.
- Pipe on the chocolate frosting on the bottom half of the cupcake. I used a star tip for this.
- Layer on green, yellow and red icing for the lettuce, mustard and ketchup. I used a basket-weave tip for the lettuce and two different sized round tips for the mustard and ketchup.
- Cool in the fridge so that the frosting can set prior to putting the top of the bun on.